Monday, June 7, 2010

Old Town



Today's post is brought to you by Dora:

This weekend my family went to Washington, D.C. While we walked to our car from the ice cream place, we passed a man playing a flute. He started to play “Yankee Doodle”. I sang along. The man saw me and asked, ”Do you know this one?” He started to play “Grand Old Flag”! I nodded and started to sing. When we were done, he said, "You’re good!” He gave me a pair of cymbals. Then he played “Stars and Stripes.” I crashed the cymbals to the beat. After another song, I gave him his cymbals. He gave me a flyer. But do you know what? I never learned his name! I don’t suppose you know... do you?


This was Dora's best memory of the weekend. She journaled about it as soon as she could get her hands on paper and a pen, and today wanted to type out the story so she can read it to her class at school tomorrow.

I had been feeling nostalgic lately about our old home in Alexandria. Jeff and I got a little Wonder Years when we started talking about the days where we could walk down to Old Town or go out for one drink after work that would turn into many, many, many. (And also about how poor we were then, and probably should not have gone out nearly as much as we did!) We should take a trip back some day just the two of us, since there are about ten restaurants that I would love to have another meal at (and ten more places I'd love to go for a drink.) Anyhow, I really enjoyed the couple hours spent on Saturday, and I think the kids had a good time, too.

2 comments:

  1. Where was this? Old Town Alexandria? I went to George Mason and we'd go there on weekends! Miss the piano bar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. We used to live in an apartment on Washington Street and I worked in Del Ray. I miss those days!!

    ReplyDelete