Monday, November 8, 2010

Baking Monday - Candy Bar Cookies

With no plan in mind today, I gathered inspiration from the bowl of Halloween candy on our kitchen counter. Some might say that it makes no sense to take candy bars and add them to MORE sugar and fat, and I say that those people have no business reading baking blogs. If you have Thanksgiving parties coming up and there's still a bowl of miniature Snickers staring at you, give these a try!

(BTW, my kids had the most Reese cups, by far. Only two Kit Kats, much to Dora's disappointment, but Theo was thrilled to get more than a few mini Crunch bars.)

A few observations ...



The recipe calls for six ounces of chopped candy, I used about ten. And then after mixing it in to the dough, decided that it didn't look like enough, and threw in some chocolate chips, too. This was not a great idea, because the flavor of the dough goes much better with the milk chocolate candy bars than the semi-sweet chocolate chips. So next time: more candy bars. I say at least 12 ounces.



I wasn't thrilled with the texture of the cookies once baked ... I like chip cookies to be dense and soft, these were thin and crispy. (And super sticky: bake on parchment!) So, I tried baking the second half of the dough in a mini muffin pan. However, upon cooling, I was surprised to find that I actually liked the thin cookie better ... go figure.

This recipe makes a ton of cookies, so you may want to freeze half the dough for a mid-January, post-Christmas, pre-Valentine's Day candy bar fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment