Monday, January 17, 2011

Baking Monday - Toffee Almond Sandies

A story of almond love and an almond fail: A friend of mine posted that she had been recently "chain-baking" this cake because it was so delicious. From the description alone, I never would have tried this recipe, but hearing her accolades made me curious. Reading the comments below the recipe made me wonder if I did something terribly wrong, because even though it looked gorgeous, it was not good. At all. The ground almonds made a cornbread-like texture, which is not totally bad, but the bitter peel taste was so overpowering that the texture was a real turn-off. Not sure how I went wrong with that one, it was quite disappointing.

Today, something different! Another recipe from the Taste of Home cookie book. Also with almonds but swapping nasty orange peels for tasty toffee bits.



I used slivered almonds chopped coarsely and split the recipe in half (which works nicely, if you don't feel like baking 9 dozen cookies). These are very crunchy and buttery and the dough was pretty yummy (you know, if you're in to that kind of thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment