Monday, May 28, 2012

Baking Monday - Cherry Almond Cookies

Cherry almond is one of my favorite scents - I could sniff Jergens lotion all day long. I got the bug to bake something with those flavors. I found this recipe and modified it slightly with delicious results!


These are thick sugar cookies with cherry flavored icing. The original recipe was for a thicker cookie with buttercream icing, but I opted for a more traditional cutout with glaze. Cherry juice is a great way to flavor and color the icing (and I happened to have cherries in the fridge leftover from the cherry chip cupcakes, so yay!) This was also my first time using a squeeze bottle for decorating - LOVE. It was so easy to use, fill, and clean, and very nice not wasting a decorating bag. I only have one now, but will probably be adding to the collection soon!


Wonderful flavor combo. This is a yummy, soft cookie. Jeff's review: "It tastes like a Pop Tart." (Maybe add sugar sprinkles next time?) Here's the recipe with my suggestions. Enjoy!

Cherry Almond Sugar Cookies
(Adapted from Yummy Fun)

2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 + 1/4 tsp vanilla
1 + 1/4 tsp almond extract
4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder

• Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, vanilla, and almond, mix well.
• Add flour and baking powder, mix until just combined.
• Dough will be sticky - chill if needed before rolling.
• Roll on floured surface and cut 3/8" thick.
• Bake at 375 for 8-9 minutes. Makes 40 3" cutouts.

Cherry Glaze Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup juice from maraschino cherries
2-4 tbsp milk

• Blend sugar, butter, vanilla, and juice until combined (will be crumbly).
• Add milk as needed until icing consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment