Monday, July 7, 2014

Baking Monday – Boston Cream Cupcakes



We usually stop for donuts on Sundays after church. Dora and Jeff's go-to favorite? Boston Cream! For them, I've been wanting to try the cupcake version. Since I had egg yolks leftover from the last batch of vanilla cupcakes, it seemed like a good time to give this recipe a try.


I've never made vanilla cream from scratch before, it was … interesting! It seemed pretty thick, but I guess it wasn't cooked quite enough because it was more on the runny side than fluffy after chilling overnight. And the ganache never quite thickened up, either … I ended up adding lots of confectioner's sugar to try to get it to firm up, but it was still pretty drippy. So, between the filling and the topping, these were quite messy! 


But also quite yummy! The cupcakes were very moist and springy. Best eaten right away, because by the next day, the cream kind of soaked into the cake. (Still good, but not the same pudding-like texture.)   I saved from spending a big chunk of time in the kitchen by making each part in stages over two days and am pretty proud of these messy treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment